10460 139 Street, Surrey, British Columbia V3T 4L5

About

Parish History: In Brief

From a humble beginning on Christmas Eve 1948 with 37 people in attendance, Our Lady of Good Counsel has grown to be one of the largest parishes in the Vancouver Archdiocese. This flourishing parish of now more than 10,000 souls, has a multitude of activities over and above the regular church services, elementary school, and religious education programs in English, Polish, and Spanish.

Canada glories in multiculturalism and Surrey reflects it. The parish has liturgies for the Polish community each Sunday and often during the week. There is monthly mass for the Laotian community, while the Spanish speaking have a liturgy every week. Perpetual Adoration takes place 24 hours a day in the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament. Parishioners work with the local Salvation Army to feed the needy of the area, while the St. Vincent de Paul Society makes regular home visits and feeds many families.

As the emphasis of the Archdiocese focused on Youth Ministry, the Don Bosco Youth Centre was expected to become a model. It is, in fact, a unique operation of its kind in all of British Columbia – a Catholic Parish youth centre serving youth of all creeds and backgrounds.

The Church

The Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish reflects the traditional lines of the ancient Christian basilicas. It features a semi circular apse and a canopy under which is the Risen Christ. The church has a seating capacity of 800 in the main nave and aisles; an additional 200 can be accommodated above the vestibule. The exterior and the interior of the church are of steel and waterproof dark brown brick. The interior features an adaptation of a 14th Century gothic fanvault. The effect sometimes at sunrise or sunset, when the rays from the sun pierce the stained glass windows and flood the vaulted ceiling with the symbolic colors of redemption, is both inspiring and edifying.

The original parishioners were first served from St. Peter’s in New Westminster (the original cathedral of the Diocese of New Westminster – later to become Vancouver). Then Immaculate Conception Parish in Delta (Fr. Hanrahan, pastor) took over the parish mission church which was completed and dedicated on April 26th, 1949. Actually, the first mass was celebrated on Christmas Eve in 1948 where a total of 37 Catholics were present. It was a mission church until February 1953 when the parish was canonically established. Fr. Edmund O’Dwyer, first pastor, retired due to illness after two years. He made plans but it was Fr. Fouquette who built the new church. It was blessed by Bishop Martin Johnson on the 29th of May, 1960. Architect Wilfrid User; contractor John Mackwood.

Priests who have served the Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish

Pastors Fr. Edmund O’Dwyer
Fr. Joseph Fouquet
Fr. Richard Peedle (Administrator)
Msgr. Clinton
Fr. Wilmer Beath
Fr. Gordon McKinnon
Fr. David Zunino, S.D.B.
Fr. Albert Adreatta, S.D.B.
Fr. Armand Oliveri, S.D.B. (Administrator)
Fr. John Malloy, S.D.B.
Fr. Harry Rasmussen, S.D.B. (Administrator)
Fr. Robert Stein, S.D.B.
Fr. Harold Danielson, S.D.B. (Temporary Administrator)
Fr. Richard Cressman, S.D.B. (Temporary Administrator)
Fr. James Jeffcoat, S.D.B. (Temporary Administrator)
Fr. Mario Villaraza, S.D.B.
Fr. John Cosgrove, S.D.B.
1953-1955
1955-1964
1964-1965
1965-1971
1971-1973
1973-1974
1974-1980
1980-1988
1988-1989
1989-2001
2001-2002
2002-2003
2003
2003
2003-2004
2004-2015
2015-present
Diocesan and Religious Associate Pastors Fr. Donald Murphy
Fr. Patrick Heffemen
Fr. William Lasko, S.J.
Fr. Desire Potanko
Fr. Duncan Goguillot
Fr. Richard Peddle
Fr. R. A. Jonkas
Fr. J. O’Grady
Fr. Joseph Swoboda
Fr. Tadeusz Pieniazek, S.D.S.
1955-1958
1958-1959
1959-1960
1959-1960
1963
1960-1964
1965-1971
1971-1973
1972-1973
1995-1997
Salesian Associate Pastors and Religious Fr. Joseph Mediati, SDB.
Fr. Paul Maniscalco, SDB (away one year)
Fr. Angelo de Pompa, SDB
Fr. Alfonso Demmi, SDB
Fr. Anthony DiFalco, SDB
Fr. Robert Stein, SDB
Fr. Mirko Flac, SDB
Fr. Zbigniew Baran, SDB
Fr. George Konaszewski, SDB
Fr. Mario Rosso, SDB
Bro. Gerard Harasym, SDB
Fr. Cecil Noronha, SDB
Fr. Wladyslaw Sikora, SDB
Fr. John Basso, SDB
Fr. Tadeusz Goryczka, SDB
Fr. Michael Korceba, SDB
Fr. Jan Staszel, SDB
Fr. David Sajdak, SDB
Fr. George Atok, SDB
Fr. Gerard Ravasco, SDB
Fr. Rufo “Junji” Zarate, SDB
1974-1975
1975-1998
1977-1978
1981-1982
1984-1988
1989-1998
1993-1996
1997-1998
1999-2001
1998-2004
2002-2016
2002
2001-2005
2005-2014
2005-2006
2006
2006-Present
2007-2013
2013-Present
2013-2016
2014-Present