PARISH RELIGIOUS EDUCATION PROGRAM (PREP)
- Elementary PREP
- The Parish Religious Education Program or PREP (CCD) is religion class or catechism for school age children.
- Classes are held every Tuesday for Grades 1 to 4A and Thursday for Grades 4B to 7, from 6:30 to 8:00 P.M. at the OLGC school.
- High School PREP (Thursday, 6:30 to 8:00 P.M.)
- Teen PREP is a youth group formation for high school who finished their Confirmation: catechism, games and socials.
- RCIT (Rite of Christian Initiation for Teens) is catechism for those teen-agers (13-18 years of age) who have not received Baptism, Confirmation or First Communion.
Register at the Parish Office.
RITES OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF TEENAGERS (RCIT)
The Rites of Christian Initiation of Teenagers or RCIT is a “Journey of Faith” adapted for youth. It is a process which provides an opportunity for the youth to ask questions about the Catholic Faith.
- Baptized Catholics who have not yet been confirmed or received First Communion
- Catholic youth who have been confirmed but would like to know more about their Catholic Faith
Classes are held every Thursday, from 6:30 to 8:00 in the evening at Don Bosco Youth Centre. Games and socialization follow every session.
Register at the Parish Office.
RITES OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF ADULTS (RCIA)
The Rites of Christian Initiation of Adults or RCIA is sometimes referred to as a “Journey of Faith”. It is a process which provides an opportunity for the youth and adults to ask questions about the Catholic Faith.
- Non-Catholic adults who want to ask questions about the Catholic Church
- Those already baptized from another denomination who may be considering becoming Catholic
- Baptized Catholics who have not yet been confirmed
- Non-Catholic adults who want a better understanding of the faith of their Catholic spouse and children
Baptism Class is a two-session program to prepare parents and godparents for the baptism of their children. They are required to attend classes on the third Friday of the month at 7:30 P.M.
FAITH AND LIGHT
Faith and Light is a parish program to evangelize specially-gifted children and adults. A Mass is celebrated for them every second Sunday at 2:00 P.M. at the Mary Help of Christians Hall.
YOUTH AND CHILDREN
The focus of the work of the Salesioan is the evangelization of young people and their families. OLGC Parish provides formative groups where the young can express themselves and be formed as honest citizens of Canada and of heaven.
- God’s Little People is Liturgy of the Word for children. During Sunday Mass, the children are led to the adjacent Mary Help of Christians Hall for the Sunday Gospel adapted to them.
- Kids for Christ is a renewal ministry for children of the Couples for Christ from ages 4 to 12 years old.
- Parish Youth Council organizes the activities for young people of the parish especially the Saturday Mass liturgy.
- Praise Team is a dance and theatre arts ministry composed of young dedicated Christians whose mission is to evangelize the young people through the performing arts. The motto is “Christ will be exalted in my body.”
- Altar Servers are for boys and girls who wish to serve at the altar during Masses and liturgical celebrations.
- Youth Choir sings during Saturday evening liturgy and assists the PREP children in their liturgy.
- Youth for Christ is a renewal ministry for children of Couples for Christ from ages 13 to 20 years old. It is a movement intended to reach out to the young people that the normal church channels were missing to communicate the life-changing message of Jesus Christ.
- Singles for Christ is a renewal ministry for children of Couples for Christ from ages 21 to 35 years old to provide them with a channel through which they could respond to God’s call and acknowledge that only He can lessen that burden and make them live peaceful and fulfilling lives.
- Polish PREP School is a parish program where Catholic faith is taught to children of Polish descent every Saturday morning. Polish language and culture are also taught.
PARISH FAMILY MINISTRY
Challenged by the un-Christian view of marriage by a number of Canadian politicians, by the rise of materialism of Canadian society and by the ever growing number of families with misguided priorities in life, the OLGC Parish commits itself to defend the traditional Catholic view of family and marriage and establishes the Parish Family Ministry. It aims:
- to promote Catholic values in Catholic families of the Parish
- to educate parishioners in Catholic teachings on marriage and family
- to be at the vanguard in defending Catholic marriage and family
- to represent the Parish with regards to family and marriage
- to network with other organizations that defend traditional marriage and family
The following Parish organizations involved in this ministry are as follows:
- Salesian Cooperators is a movement founded by St. John Bosco composed of persons who commit to sanctify themselves and their family the Salesian way. They help out in the evangelization of the young wherever they are.
- The Couples for Christ is a movement for the renewal and strengthening of Christian family life. The members have committed themselves to the Lord and to one another so that they may grow in maturity as men and women of God and fulfill their primary vocation of raising up families under the lordship of Jesus Christ and for the service of the Kingdom of God.
- The Catholic Women’s League is an organization intended to educate and encourage Catholic women to play a role in the work of the Church at parish, diocesan, national and international levels.
- The Legion of Mary is a lay Catholic association whose members are giving service to the church, on a voluntary basis, all over the world.
- The Knights of Columbus is a lay Catholic family fraternal service organization. Membership is open to all practical Catholic men in communion with the Holy See, age eighteen and above.
- Family Planning Team is composed of parish volunteers who are committed Catholics in the medical field and trained to guide married couples in the natural family planning.
Ministry for Worship and Spirituality
Ministry to Ethnic Communities
- Filipino Community
- Indo-Canadian Community
- Laotian Community
- Polish Community
Ministry of Service
- Sick and Elderly
- Poor and Indigent
- New Immigrants
Ministry of Unity and Fellowship
- Hospitality Committee
- Program Coordinator
- Parish Research Office
- Appreciation Committee
- Vocation Committee